Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Thankful

Thankful

2013 has flown bye.  I can't believe we are already 21 days into 2014.  I am starting to agree with what my parents used to say, as you get older time seems to go bye much faster.  Obviously, the measurement of time has not changed, but as we get older our lives become more occupied with family, work, friends, hobbies and events and time really to does fly bye.   In the last 12 months, I have taken on more than I have had to in all my years combined. It has felt much like a roller-coaster ride of events with exciting highs and some real painful lows but I am grateful it has gotten me to wear I am today.   Here is my 2013 in a nutshell:

January:
-  Founded South Mountain Striders Running Group
(Yeah!  I love these girls and I am proud to be a member and founder of the group!)

March: 
-   Gave birth to my son Steve Slattery 3.0 (Stevie) on March 19th
(Woo hoo, I did it!  Definitely the most rewarding thing I have done in my life.  He brings me so much happiness I can't explain it)


May:
-  Returned to running after a 6 month break from running during my pregnancy
( So excited to be back running and it has been a lot more fun than I thought it would be.   After nine months away, I was so excited to get back in shape and start competing again!)

-  Started sponsorship with 2XU compression wear and Baby Jogger
(Really excited to be working with two great companies with awesome products!)

June: 
- Lost my Father Terry Gorton to ALS
(One of the most difficult things I have gone through.  My Dad and I were very close and he was always my biggest cheerleader and motivator.  It is still hard to believe he is gone.)

July: 
-  Accepted a position with Modcraft Studio as an Account Manager
(Really excited to be working with my college Teammate Shanna Burnett and her talented husband Kevin Burnett in their innovative PR company!)

-  Ran my first race post pregnancy at Hood to Coast Relays with Nuun
(Had a blast with a great team of women on the Nuun team.  I was proud of myself, I averaged 5:45 pace for 18 miles 4 months after having Stevie. )

August: 
-  Took over management/ownership of my parents company Mountain States Specialties
(A large role to take on.  It is a sign company with 10 employees that has been in business for over 25 years.  My Mom was struggling with health issues and mourning and was no longer able to manage the company.  I have a economics/business degree and have had an understanding from a distance of how the company was run.  However, I had to learn the details very quickly and step into a leadership position.  A bit overwhelming at first.)

September:
- In a Car Accident with Stevie and totaled my Dodge Dakota
(A really scary experience that made me realize how quickly your life can change.  Luckily, Stevie was healthy and ok after the accident the only thing I received from the accident was whiplash. )

October:  
- Became the Eliptigo World Champion
(Pretty awesome race up a gnarly mountain starting at sea level and climbing to 5000ft.)

-Went to Boulder, Colorado with Stevie to do training for Modcraft and watch the PAC 12 XC Championships.
(First trip with Stevie solo.  He did great.  Had a lot of fun learning my new role with Modcraft and spending time with Shanna and Kevin.  Awesome weekend watching the Buffs kick butt at PAC 12's with other fellow Buff Alumni!)

November:
-  Mom undergoes brain surgery for hydrosephalitis
(Another scary low. The doctors scoped a blockage in her ventricle that was causing fluid to build in her brain. Not sure how much more emotionally I can take right now.  Praying that this will help my Mom and she will fully recover.)

-  Attend CU Teammate, Liz's Wedding in Denver, Colorado
(A fun weekend away from the stress at home.  Really fun to have a date night with Steve catching up with friends and letting loose on the dance floor!  I love Weddings!)

December:  
- Attend TRE(The Running Event) Conference with Modcraft
(Exciting to meet all of our clients; Nuun, Oiselle, Soleus and all the editors to
showcase the new products for 2014.)

-  Ran USATF Club XC Nationals.
(Hindsight, honestly not the most intelligent idea during this time.  Going into the race I was both physically and emotionally tired with everything outside of running. However, my team South Mountain Striders, had been planning on doing this race all year and I didn't want to let them down.  It was one of the hardest races I have run and the worst finishes I have had.  I didn't realize how tired I was from juggling everything(Stevie, work, traveling, health of my parents and running) and how much it would effect my race.  It was one of the hardest courses I have ever run as well and I had no energy to really push myself.  It was the first time I have ever felt this way in a race.)

-Christmas in NJ for 10 days
( Stevie met all of his family in NJ.  All of Steve's family live there and Stevie had only met his Grandpa and Grandma.  It was  fun to have a white Christmas.  It was nice to see family and relax a bit too!)

 2013 was one of the most stressful but fulfilling years of my life. There have been extreme highs and lows throughout the year. What I thought would be the most stressful thing for me this year, having Stevie, has actually been much easier and he has helped me to stay sane through this whole process.  He has brought me so much joy and happiness during both the difficult and fun times and I am so grateful to be his Mom.   However, by the end of the year I was exhausted both physically and mentally.  I realized I was very strong for getting  through this period but I also realized could not sustain another year like this again.

Now that we are already 21 days into 2014, I am really looking forward to a year of "normalcy".  This year I learned that I am stronger and able to handle more than I ever thought I could.  I was able juggle and accomplish quite a bit in one year.  However,  I am ready to focus on doing things at a high level and not spreading myself so thin.  I have already put things in place to help me accomplish and stick to a less hectic and stressful year.    I have had to learn to delegate things more and to prioritize the important things in my life. I am going to race as an Elite again and run my first marathon this spring and  I am going to be a great Mom, Wife and focused employee.  2013 taught me a lot and I am excited for the things to come in 2014!

4 comments:

  1. Very open and honest blog. Thanks for sharing your journey. Look forward to seeing you come back stronger and be an inspiration as a new mom. Good luck with the 26.2!

    -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stephanie! I am excited for 26.2 and 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Sara! So sorry for all the difficulty you've been through this past year. I am grateful that you've been able to find joy amidst all the sorrow and challenges.
    I will be praying for you and your family.
    Big hug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alicia! Please let me know when you are in Phoenix! I would love to go for a run or get coffee or have you over.

      Delete